Common Mistakes after weight loss surgery



  1. Assuming bariatric surgery is a cure for obesity – As we always remark to our patients, bariatric surgery is not a “magic bullet”, is a tool to help improve obesity and introduction to a healthier lifestyle. Weight loss surgery itself does about 40 percent of the work but the remaining 60 percent must come from the patient and their new lifestyle habits. “If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got”
  1. Not taking vitamins, supplements, or minerals – This is extremely important, bariatric patients will be on a very low carb diet after surgery and will not be getting all the nutrients they require through their diet. Every weight loss patient has specific nutritional need depending on the type of bariatric surgerytherefore it is essential that patients get in contact with a nutritionist to provide the patient supplements to maintain adequate levels of vitamins and minerals in the body, otherwise vitamin deficiencies can occur.

    For more information about vitamins after wls surgery, visit: http://longtermvsg.com/after-bariatric-surgery-guidelines

  2. Poor eating habits – Eating healthy can be a challenge before and after surgery, but always keep in mind that “bigger changes, require bigger efforts!” It’s very important to stay away from high sugary foods and carbs, focus on the most essential portion of your diet: protein. Try using your carbohydrates as "condiments," rather than as the center point of your meal.

  3. Drinking and eating at the same time – Drink fluids 30 minutes after your meal! It’s essential that you reserve the small amount of space you have in your stomach for high-quality, nutrient-rich food. Drinking before and during your meal will fill your stomach with fluid, instead of food causing you some discomfort... Also if you drink while you eat, the food washes out of your stomach much more quickly, you get hungry sooner, and you are at more risk for snacking.

  4. Passive life (Not Exercising Regularly) – Physical activity is very important key for long-term weight management after surgery. We recommend you to start with light exercise or 30-40 minutes walks per day and then slowly start with aerobic or anaerobic exercises, exercise will help you to activate your metabolism and speed up the rate at which you burn calories to lose weight.
  1. Going back to drinking soda and carbonated beverages – Many carbonated drinks and soda seltzer have the ability to stretch the stomach, causing some discomfort to the patient. The best thing to do is to find other type of healthier drinks, sodas especially are extremely high in sugar and can contribute to excess caloric intake.

  2. Not drinking enough water – Water will help your body heal after surgery, it will help you increase your energy levels and help you function optimally as you lose weight. If you don’t drink enough water throughout the day it can lead to dehydration in the body which in result could cause detriments to your health and progress after bariatric surgery.






Popular posts from this blog

HAIR LOSS AFTER WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY

Bariatric Surgery Diet – Best protein sources for Vegetarian Patients

5 Tips to boost your metabolism. Life after weight loss surgery.